In light of the issues, we have been facing with spammers on the forum we have decided to move the HearingLikeMe community to a Facebook Group.

We believe that a Facebook Group will be more appropriate for the community to engage as it offers all the functionalities and security required to keep it free from malicious users.

We will close the HearingLikeMe forum in January 2018, in the meantime, you can already request to join the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HearingLikeMe/

We are looking forward to meeting you there and continue the conversation.

Kind regards,

The HearingLikeMe Team

Questions for professionals who work with children with hearing loss

Member Posts: 1 Join Date : 15 Mar 2015
Hello!

I'm currently studying to be a speech language pathologist and taking a course in auditory rehabilitation. I'm looking for the opinions of those who work with children with hearing loss in schools (SLPs, audiologists, interpreters). If there is anyone out there who works in this capacity, I would love to get your opinion on the following questions:

What effects of hearing loss do you think have the biggest impact on the child’s life?
Do you think that children with hearing loss are being adequately served?
What kinds of things do you think should happen differently for children with hearing loss in schools?
Do you think that school services are meeting the needs of the students?
Is there anything that you would like to see done differently by people who work with kids with hearing loss? (e.g. programs, funding, devices, etc..)

I hope it is ok that I'm posting this in the professional forum. This forum seemed like a great resource and I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!
Posted on : 15 Mar @ 7:39pm

Comments

• Guest, Member Posts: 1 Join Date : 16 Dec 2015
    Hi,
    I hope I'm not too late to respond to your questions. I work as an Itinerant teacher of the deaf in a school district. The effects of hearing loss have many impacts on the students. First of all, language development and vocabulary are impacted.  Technology and early identification have helped lessen some of this, but it all depends on the family support and involvement from early on. There are social impacts as well. As the children get older, they are perceived as different - either by peers or themselves. As they grow , it is sometimes hard to get the children to continue wearing their hearing aids and using their FM systems. Sometimes they feel isolated. 

Many of the students who are bright, "vanilla deaf" students are not offered an IEP. Instead they are given 504 services. But, in my experience, they are offered little support because there is no one knowledgeable about hearing loss in the district. And Special ed is hesitant to offer services because they are "doing ok". Doing ok means that they are passing and not causing any problems. But, over the years they may never be offered FM systems and other supports. Many  may never really reach their full potential. They may quit wearing their hearing aids. The level of support is low.

Some children are adequately served, but it really depends on the district or the Regional School that serves the district. I believe that every D/HH child needs some level of support. Some certainly need more than others.  I wish there was a way to serve the students in between Sped and 504. There seems a huge gap there. Sped has so much paperwork and doesn't really seem to be needed by all the students. But, our services as D/HH teachers come under Sped. 504 misses so many of the important needs of our D/HH students.

These kids need encouragement, support, technical support, tutoring, and social interaction opportunities with others who have hearing loss.
    Posted on : 16 Dec @ 7:36pm