In light of the issues, we have been facing with spammers on the forum we have decided to move the HearingLikeMe community to a Facebook Group.

We believe that a Facebook Group will be more appropriate for the community to engage as it offers all the functionalities and security required to keep it free from malicious users.

We will close the HearingLikeMe forum in January 2018, in the meantime, you can already request to join the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HearingLikeMe/

We are looking forward to meeting you there and continue the conversation.

Kind regards,

The HearingLikeMe Team

Organizations That Focus on Hearing Loss and Deafened Adults

Member Posts: 1 Join Date : 27 Sep 2013
I am new to this Hearinglikeme blog and it is set up beautifully. It is well thought out, beautifully organized, informative and above all provides a safe and comfortable forum for those countless others who face the challenge of living is a hearing loss. It ain't fun, but at least communicating with others that truly understand our plight is a blessing undisguised.

In addition to blogs such as this there is something to say about meeting in person with others who have to struggle with hearing loss, despite the assistance of hearing aids and cochlear implants.

When we were children as long as another kids lived on our block or close by we cared not about how our personalities were not identical nor if they were stronger or weaker, or smarter or duller, as long as could play together we never could get enough of them.

We needed friends to ride bikes with, go to movies with, laugh with and fight with.

And just because we no longer have normal hearing ability does not mean we miss that at times.

Fortunately there are organizations that do foster meeting in person to do things together. Talking with others in this blog or others you will hear about them. There are all available online, but as I say, once in awhile it adds to life to take the risk of showing up in person, for you will find other individuals who have hearing loss themeselves or have family members that have hearing loss, and above all you will find yourself among people who truly understand your situation and will offer your the most friendly reaching out to you with friendship and kindness.

Google anyone of the following hearing loss organizations and your life will be enhanced immensely. The only time you will find yourself crying is when the convention comes to a close after it ends in four or five days.

ALDA STANDS FOR ASSOCIATION OF LATE DEAFENED ADULTS (WITH AN UPCOMING CONVENTION THIS COMING OCT. 16, 2013).

HLAA STANDS FOR HEARING LOSS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THISE ORGANIZATIONS?

BOB EEE

Posted on : 27 Sep @ 6:57pm

Comments

• Ambassador Posts: 358 Join Date : 21 May 2013
    Bob,

I haven't heard of the ALDA, but you can join the HLAA website at www.myhearingloss.org
    Posted on : 27 Sep @ 10:30pm
  • Member Posts: 12 Join Date : 04 Nov 2017
    Yes, they're great resources!! Thanks for sharing
    Posted on : 04 Nov @ 4:43am
  • Member Posts: 65 Join Date : 17 Dec 2016
    I am 58 years old and have worn HA's(hearing aids) for 52 years, and HLAA is good place to start. You can also google some local organizations as well as some medical and social support. Contact your audiologist and ask for local hearing loss organizations. I am part of the Greater Richmond Chapter of Hearing Loss Association of America, and I have found it to be very helpful to me and my wife because of the support that is given. My experiences and my knowledge has helped many people in our chapter that either just received HA's, recently lost their hearing, or want to know more about hearing loss.
    ABOVE ALL, DON'T BE FEARFUL OF TELLING PEOPLE YOU HAVE A HEARING LOSS!!!
    EDUCATION IS KEY TO KNOWLEDGE AND POWER!
    Kevin
    Posted on : 16 Nov @ 12:12am